Wednesday 20 April 2011

Reality vs. Reality

Does it bother anyone else that reality tv has little to no basis in acutal reality?  I'm not talking about competition type shows like Idol or Dancing with the stars, some things may be exaggerated for the camera but that's not really my issue.  I'm talking about shows like Teen Mom and Jersey Shore. I don't actually watch Jersey Shore so I can't even comment on the content of the show, but according to an online report  Mike "The Situation" earned $3 million in 2010, and his buddy Pauly D made a cool $2 million, and for what??  From what I can tell these guys make millions of dollars to get drunk and act a fool whereas I get up and go work in an office every day and will probably never see a million dollars!  Not long ago one of the young mothers on MTV's Teen Mom was in court because she beat up her baby daddy, and the judge asked her salary, and the answer was $280, 000!! Most hard working people I know don't make even close to that much.  And correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that any of these "reality stars" are putting their huge earnings toward education or charity, as far as I can tell most of them are spending it on new boobs.  So apparently the message that "reality" tv is sending young people is to get pregnant at 16, perhaps through in some alcohol and/or drug abuse, and some violent outbursts and you'll have it made.  Apparently this is the new American Dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment